Aspen Film offers sneak peek at Academy Screenings series
November 15, 2013
Aspen Film has given a small glimpse of the cinematic goodies to come in the upcoming Academy Screenings program, announcing three of the 20 movies to be presented in the annual program of Oscar contenders: "August: Osage County," "Her" and "Labor Day."
The 22nd Academy Screenings is set for Dec. 23 through Jan. 2, with all films to be shown at the Wheeler Opera House. The program gathers films considered contenders for Academy Awards for single screenings; often, the films are shown weeks in advance of their general release. The past four winners of the Oscar for best picture — "Argo," "The Artist," "The King's Speech" and "The Hurt Locker" — have been included in the series.
The series will also mark the debut of the Wheeler's new digital projection system.
"August: Osage County," which was shown earlier this fall at Aspen Filmfest, is an adaptation of Tracy Letts' Pulitzer Prize-winning stage drama of a fractured family gathering at their Oklahoma home. The ensemble cast includes Meryl Streep, Julia Roberts, Juliette Lewis, Sam Shepard and Dermot Mulroney.
"Her," the latest offbeat work by writer-director Spike Jonze, stars Joaquin Phoenix as a writer who develops an intimate relationship with his computer's operating system, voiced by Scarlett Johansson. The film, which debuted at the New York Film Festival and doesn't open in general release till mid-January, co-stars Amy Adams and Rooney Mara.
"Labor Day," directed by frequent Aspen Film participant Jason Reitman, is an adaptation of Joyce Maynard's novel about a mom and her son who become involved with an escaped convict. The film, which premiered in August at the Telluride Film Festival and is not scheduled for release till late January, stars Kate Winslet and Josh Brolin.
Recommended Stories For You
The full Academy Screenings program will be announced in the first week of December. Tickets for the individual screenings will go on sale Dec. 13 through Aspen Show Tickets at the Wheeler Opera House.
For further information on Academy Screenings, go to aspenfilm.org.
Coming Dec. 23 through Jan. 2
Wheeler Opera House
Trending In: Activities & Events
- Glenwood Caverns finishes Octoberfest with retirement of Iron Mountain Tramway
- Food & Wine Classic: New Aspen restaurants open in flurry of offseason activity
- Annual CMC pottery sale begins Wednesday
- Aspen Words director Adrienne Brodeur to publish memoir
- Michael Lewis versus ‘The Human Piranha’ in Aspen
- Historic Redstone Castle comes back to life along the Crystal River
- Aspen Skiing Co. alters dog hours for uphillers at Buttermilk, Snowmass and Highlands
- Aspen Mountain opens for the season with 180 acres of skiable terrain
- Strafe Outerwear and Thai eatery on Snowmass Mall this winter, added employee housing in the works
- Former Aspenite Devon Meyers and family lose home in Malibu fire