Victims named in fatal wreck Tuesday near Rifle
May 18, 2017
Garfield County Coroner Robert Glassmire has identified the victims of a crash Tuesday on Colorado 13 near Rifle.
Dewey J. Tafoya, 79, of Craig was the driver of a pickup truck that collided head-on with a semi tractor-trailer rig driven by Nathan L. Nazer, 59, of Roosevelt, Utah. Both men were killed.
The accident occurred at about 4:15 p.m. Tuesday and led to a prolonged closure of the highway north of Rifle for clean-up and accident investigation.
Autopsies performed Wednesday showed that both men had multiple injuries of the head, neck, and chest. The cause of death was multiple blunt force injuries and the manner of death was accidental.
The Coroner’s Office is working with the Colorado State Patrol, Vehicle Crimes Unit, regarding other details of the crash investigation.
Stories You May Be Interested In
Trending In: Main Headline
- Update: Man found dead in Yampa River following extensive search
- Colorado officials propose changes to ski lift systems
- Deal to sell SIA Snow Show to Emerald Expositions moves Denver closer to hosting Outdoor Retailer trade shows
- Two dead in head-on crash on Colorado 13 north of Rifle
- Lake Tahoe: Deputy accidentally kills mother bear
- Aspen Mountain will open for skiing Memorial Day Weekend
- Nikos Hecht of Aspen cleared in federal civil suit alleging rape in Mexico
- Aspen senior breaks own state record, three-peats as 400-meter champion
- Hundreds brave chilly morning at Ride for the Pass
- Aspen’s Abarca wins first leg of triple crown, takes 3A 200-meter title