Victims named in fatal wreck Tuesday near Rifle
May 18, 2017
Garfield County Coroner Robert Glassmire has identified the victims of a crash Tuesday on Colorado 13 near Rifle.
Dewey J. Tafoya, 79, of Craig was the driver of a pickup truck that collided head-on with a semi tractor-trailer rig driven by Nathan L. Nazer, 59, of Roosevelt, Utah. Both men were killed.
The accident occurred at about 4:15 p.m. Tuesday and led to a prolonged closure of the highway north of Rifle for clean-up and accident investigation.
Autopsies performed Wednesday showed that both men had multiple injuries of the head, neck, and chest. The cause of death was multiple blunt force injuries and the manner of death was accidental.
The Coroner’s Office is working with the Colorado State Patrol, Vehicle Crimes Unit, regarding other details of the crash investigation.
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: Main Headline
- Officials may have to ‘spill’ excess water from Lake Tahoe
- Summit County crew rescues dog in distress on Ute Pass Trail
- New Colorado law will allow passerby to break a car window to save a dog inside
- Regional: Iconic Rabbit Ears Peak near Steamboat Springs goes floppy after losing a big chunk of an ear
- Colorado’s mobile home parks are disappearing, but a proposed bill would try to save them