Letter: Unnecessary closure on Rio Grande Trail
December 1, 2016
Wednesday was the last day that the Rio Grande Trail between Catherine Store Bridge and Rock Bottom Ranch were open this year. I remain vehemently opposed to the winter closure of that section of the Rio Grande Trail in order to incubate a mountain lion nursery!
This trail closure also precludes the possibility of cross-country skiing from Carbondale to Basalt when snow conditions permit it. This 2-mile long section is both sheltered from the sun and is the most north-facing portion of the trail in the lower valley, thus allowing for optimum snow retention. Winter closure of this trail is a bad idea whose time will never come.
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: Opinion
- Steamboat Ski Area investigating mountain coaster incident
- AVSC skier Margo McHugh prepares for FIS competition with new grant in hand
- Aspen Club to refinance, site visits continue with city
- Aspen artist Mulcahy to ask Supreme Court to hear housing case
- What’s the Big Deal: $11.25 million gets Castle Creek home outside of Aspen