Leafs hockey season ends with RMJHL playoff loss to Steamboat
March 19, 2017
The Aspen Leafs U20 hockey team had its season come to an end Sunday, falling 5-2 to the visiting Steamboat Wranglers at the Aspen Ice Garden.
The game was the final of a three-game series, all played in Aspen. The Leafs won 3-1 on Friday in the first game, but lost 2-1 Saturday to force Sunday's battle.
Aspen led 1-0 after a period Sunday with a goal from Garret McNichol. But Steamboat answered with three goals in the second period, something Aspen couldn't come back from. Connor Moore scored the second goal for Aspen.
With the win, Steamboat, in its first season, will play the Pikes Peak Miners for the Rocky Mountain Junior Hockey League championship.
Aspen defeated Pikes Peak in overtime last year to win the inaugural RMJHL championship.
Stories You May Be Interested In
Trending In: Sports & Outdoors
- Aspen Mountain will open for skiing Memorial Day weekend
- Pitkin sheriff: Feds “bullying” county over immigration stance
- LSD, drugs led to man’s death in Snowmass Base Village parking garage
- LSD, other drugs led to man’s fall from Snowmass parking garage, autopsy states
- Man who died in Yampa River identified as Steamboat Springs IT worker