Leafs hockey season ends with RMJHL playoff loss to Steamboat
March 19, 2017
The Aspen Leafs U20 hockey team had its season come to an end Sunday, falling 5-2 to the visiting Steamboat Wranglers at the Aspen Ice Garden.
The game was the final of a three-game series, all played in Aspen. The Leafs won 3-1 on Friday in the first game, but lost 2-1 Saturday to force Sunday's battle.
Aspen led 1-0 after a period Sunday with a goal from Garret McNichol. But Steamboat answered with three goals in the second period, something Aspen couldn't come back from. Connor Moore scored the second goal for Aspen.
With the win, Steamboat, in its first season, will play the Pikes Peak Miners for the Rocky Mountain Junior Hockey League championship.
Aspen defeated Pikes Peak in overtime last year to win the inaugural RMJHL championship.
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: Sports & Outdoors
- Woman admits driving into Aspen pond, then crashing hotel van
- Eagle County commissioners approve Tree Farm project in El Jebel despite threat of litigation
- Bad idea: Car backs into lake at Aspen Ideas Festival
- Aspen officials propose ‘mobility lab’ to alleviate traffic issues
- Partially decomposed body found north of Eagle off Interstate 70