Basketball postseason pairings set
Ryan Summerlin February 24, 2013
The high school basketball pairings are set for the annual Western Slope League District Tournament this week.
In the girls division, No. 8 Aspen (2-17 overall, 1-15 in league) will host No. 9 Basalt (1-8, 1-15) at 7 p.m. Tuesday.
The winner of the Tuesday game will win the honor of traveling to Craig to take on girls league champion Moffat County (16-3, 15-1) in Thursday’s quarterfinals.
The semifinals and championship of the tournament will be Friday and Saturday at Palisade.
In other first-round games Thursday for girls, No. 4 Roaring Fork (11-8, 11-5) will host No. 5 Coal Ridge (10-9, 9-7), No. 2 Olathe (15-4, 13-3) will host No. 7 Gunnison (3-12, 3-15) and No. 3 Grand Valley (14-5, 12-4) will host No. 6 Cedaredge (7-12, 6-10).
On the boys side, No. 2 Aspen (16-3, 14-2 in league) will host No. 7 Cedaredge (7-12, 5-11) in a game set for 7 p.m. Thursday.
Basalt won the tiebreaker and finished as the No. 4 seed. The BHS boys (7-12, 6-10) will host No. 5 Grand Valley (6-13, 6-10), also at 7 p.m. Thursday.
In other boys quarterfinals, No. 1 Roaring Fork (16-3, 15-1) will host No. 8 Coal Ridge (4-15, 4-12) and No. 3 Moffat County (16-3, 13-3) will host No. 6 Gunnison (6-13, 6-10) on Thursday.
Trending In: Sports & Outdoors
- Aspen city manager bans Mulcahy from housing offices
- 101 mph through Glenwood Canyon? No problem for a Ford GT
- Healthy-focused business to take over former McDonald’s space; Aspen Over Easy hopes to remain open
- The musical chairs of Aspen business: Grateful Deli for sale; other businesses coming in
- Aspen Weather: Expect the pow this winter