Aspen volleyball knocks off Olathe in five games
September 9, 2008
OLATHE, Colo. ” Aspen’s volleyball team surpassed its win total from a year ago after just its fifth match of the season Saturday when it knocked off Olathe in a thrilling five-game upset.
The Skiers ” now 4-1 overall ” rolled to convincing wins in the first two games (25-12, 25-21), only to give back the advantage to the Pirates in the ensuing two games. Olathe staved off elimination with a 26-24 win in the third game, then did so again with a 25-21 victory in the fourth.
In the 15-point tiebreaker, both teams refused to fold. Knotted at 15, it took a determined Aspen team 13 more points to pull off the upset. The 28-26 win moved Aspen to 2-1 overall in the 3A Western Slope.
The Skiers will go for their fifth win of the season Tuesday when they travel to Edwards for a 6 p.m. match against Vail Christian.
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: Sports & Outdoors
- Aspen business owner crashes Maserati into truck in Colorado Springs, tries to flee on foot
- Aspen’s 20-year-old error leads to more development on Buttermilk parcel
- 27-unit housing project in Basalt will house teachers, workers in Pitkin County
- ‘Hyperloop One’ rail concept could cut Denver-to-Vail trip to 9 minutes
- Aspen Skico CEO Mike Kaplan takes aim at Trump and ‘xenophobia radiating from the Oval Office’