Aspen duos lead in Powder 8 Championships
March 5, 2010
ASPEN – Aspenites grabbed the lead Thursday in Day 1 of the USA Powder 8 Championships at Aspen Highlands.
The Aspen duo of Jim Schanzenbaker and Andy Docken led the open division, while local pair Robynne Ross and Kelly Bearstro took first in the women’s division.
Thursday’s action, with pairs of skiers trying to carve perfect figure 8’s, took place on Heather-Bedlam run at Highlands and on G8 in Highland Bowl. Friday’s finals will take place on the back side of Aspen Mountain, served by Aspen Powder Tours.
An awards ceremony will be held Friday at 5 p.m. at Ajax Tavern at the base of Aspen Mountain.
Trending In: Sports & Outdoors
- Red Mountain home outside of Aspen nets $30 million
- Aspen candidates mull citizen’s proposal to open bus lanes to all vehicles
- Hotel Jerome work to last until next March
- NTSB concludes winds, pilot error led to fatal crash at Aspen-Pitkin County Airport
- Aspen mayoral candidate Lee Mulcahy high on cannabis meal