Aspen duos lead in Powder 8 Championships
March 5, 2010
ASPEN – Aspenites grabbed the lead Thursday in Day 1 of the USA Powder 8 Championships at Aspen Highlands.
The Aspen duo of Jim Schanzenbaker and Andy Docken led the open division, while local pair Robynne Ross and Kelly Bearstro took first in the women’s division.
Thursday’s action, with pairs of skiers trying to carve perfect figure 8’s, took place on Heather-Bedlam run at Highlands and on G8 in Highland Bowl. Friday’s finals will take place on the back side of Aspen Mountain, served by Aspen Powder Tours.
An awards ceremony will be held Friday at 5 p.m. at Ajax Tavern at the base of Aspen Mountain.
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: Sports & Outdoors
- Sheriff benches Mountain Rescue Aspen president
- Longtime Aspen cop to run against DiSalvo for sheriff next year
- Eagle man allegedly tried to beat female bartender to death at closing time
- Glenn Beaton: Aspen City Council to the people: Shut up
- Top U.S. military commander at Aspen Security: potential conflict with North Korea would be ‘horrific’ loss of life