Aspen boys tennis wins Grand Junction tourney to open the season
August 26, 2017
The Aspen High School boys tennis team opened its season Thursday, playing at the Lowery Bishop Tournament in Grand Junction. The tournament concluded Saturday, with the Skiers finishing 4-1 in match play to win the tournament.
AHS defeated Durango twice (7-0 each time), Fruita Monument 6-1 and Fossil Ridge 5-2. Its only loss was a 4-3 defeat to Grand Junction.
Five players — Dillon Leasure, Jonah Kelly, David Zalinsky, George Ghali and Christian Kelly — all finished the tournament without a loss.
Player results from GJ tournament:
The Skiers next will host Grand Junction at 3 p.m. Tuesday at the Aspen Golf and Tennis Club in a rematch of Saturday's tournament finale.
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: Sports & Outdoors
- Peach’s Cafe to expand, Aspen Brewing Co., Overeasy eyeing new homes
- AVSC skier Margo McHugh prepares for FIS competition with new grant in hand
- Steamboat Ski Area investigating mountain coaster incident
- Aspen Club to refinance, site visits continue with city
- Aspen artist Mulcahy to ask Supreme Court to hear housing case