American Vonn wins Lake Louise downhill
December 6, 2008
LAKE LOUISE, Albert ” Defending World Cup champion Lindsey Vonn won the first women’s downhill of the season on Friday.
In swirling winds and persistent falling snow, the American won in 1 minute, 26.10 seconds, beating Italy’s Nadia Fanchini by 0.61 seconds. Maria Riesch of Germany was third in 1:26.79.
“The key with this kind of weather is not to get intimidated or afraid,” Vonn said. “You have to go out there and keep fighting the whole way down.”
Vonn won the downhill in Lake Louise for the fifth straight year.
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: Sports & Outdoors
- Colorado cops search for poop-and-run jogger
- 27-unit housing project in Basalt will house teachers, workers in Pitkin County
- Study: use of AirBnB, other services for short-term rentals surging in Aspen
- Colorado board seeks to sanction Aspen design firm owner
- Aspen School District eyes more ways to house teachers, staff