House of knowledge
September 26, 2013
Once the center of activities for the Brush Creek ranching community in the late 1890s and early 1900s, the Brush Creek School House was left abandoned in 1944 when the school district was consolidated to the Red Brick School in Aspen. Built on a plot of land donated by the Miles Carroll Ranch in 1894 as the most central place to the local ranches, it was a one-room schoolhouse heated by a single potbelly stove. The schoolhouse was used for more than just education: It also held community events, such as dance socials with boxed suppers and musical entertainment. The most well-known student was Hildur Hoaglund Anderson, who grew up on the Hoaglund ranch (now known as the Anderson Ranch Arts Center), attended the school through her eighth-grade year in 1921 and then later came back to teach a short while at the school. The building exchanged hands from the Andersons, who bought up the plot in the 1950s, to the Meltons and then Janss Corp. until finally getting deeded in the early 1970s to the Snowmass Homeowners Association to become a community center once again. The restoration of the historic schoolhouse was completed in 1976, and by 1977, summer classes for kids occurred as part of the Kinderheim Day Camp, neighborhood dinners were held, and the men's group had monthly meetings. And now, back to its original roots, it is home to the Little Red School House preschool.
Editor's note: This page is a partnership between the Snowmass Sun and the Aspen Historical Society with two primary goals in mind: to improve the knowledge of Snowmass history in the region and to collect historical photographs of the Snowmass region for the society. If you have pieces of history to donate, please send them to firstname.lastname@example.org.