Slush puppy reigns
April 13, 2003
And then there was one.
Highlands, Buttermilk and Snowmass are now closed, after what was easily the best season in five years.
We’ve got one more week on Ajax, which was dripping in sunshine and slushy bumps yesterday, enjoyed by a fair turnout of noontime loyalists.
And given the forecast change in the weather later this week, it might have made for a glorious closing day.
But we’ll happily press on to April 20 and see what that day brings, although do we really want to see more snow? (Yes, cry all the boaters!)
We could see a breeze today, as southwest winds sweep in at a rate of 20 to 30 miles per hour. It will be partly cloudy in the morning and then becoming cloudy. Highs in the lower 40s to lower 60s.
Recommended Stories For You
Tonight should mostly cloudy and windy with chill temps in the lower 20s to lower 30s. Southwest winds 20 to 30 mph.
Tuesday will be cooler and windier still. Snow showers are likely in the morning, then rain showers or snow showers and maybe a thunderstorm in the afternoon.
Highs only in the mid-20s to upper 30s on Tuesday with a chance of rain or snow 60 percent. It will still be windy on Tuesday night with snow showers likely in the evening and wintry lows of 9 to 18.
(Powder day on Wednesday?)
Wednesday is also to feature wind, clouds and snow or rain, with highs in the mid-30s to mid-40s. Chance of rain or snow 30 percent.
Thursday through Sunday looks like it will be cloudy with highs in the 40s.
And if you WANT to keep skiing but you NEED to get out of the valley, you’ve still got lots of Colorado options. And most every resort is offering spring specials on lift tickets and lodging, making a road trip a feasible deal.
So, here is yesterday’s ski report for those resorts that are still open
this week …
– Arapahoe Basin – 75-85 base, 69 of 69 trails, 490 acres, 100% open, 5 of 5 lifts.
– Breckenridge – 67-85 base, 146 of 146 trails, 2208 acres, 100% open, 23 of 27 lifts.
– Copper Mountain – 74-81 base, 113 of 129 trails, 2288 acres, 95% open, 14 of 23 lifts.
– Keystone – 59-60 base, 104 of 116 trails, 1726 acres, 93% open, 9 of 21 lifts.
– Loveland – 82-inch base, 71 of 77 trails, 1198 acres 93% open, 6 of 11 lifts.
– Silverton Mountain – 67-67 base, 85% open, 1 of 1 lifts, open Thu-Sun.
– Vail – 60-83 base, 188 of 198 trails, 4818 acres, 91% open, 23 of 33 lifts.
– Winter Park – 90-96 base,106 of 134 trails, 90% open, 18 of 23 lifts.