Search for Aspen-area climber hampered by weather again Saturday
September 25, 2016
Poor visibility and wintry weather hampered the search for a second day Saturday for a missing climber believed to be in the Maroon Bells area, authorities said.
A ground team from a search-and-rescue organization from Gunnison County approached Maroon Peak from the south to aid in the search, according to Pitkin County Sheriff's Office Deputy Grant Jahnke. The team staged in the Fravert Basin area and conducted a visual search of the higher terrain for signs of David Cook, 49, of Albuquerque, New Mexico, who was reported missing this week.
Mountain Rescue Aspen put a ground team in the field Thursday and two helicopters aided the search. Search efforts were called off Friday when the weather deteriorated in the morning. The weather hampered the search again on Saturday.
Plans are to resume a search as conditions allow.
Trending In: Regional
- Hiker missing on Pyramid Peak not found in snowy conditions Monday
- Man and daughter escape serious injury after harrowing accident with semi on Highway 82 at El Jebel
- Signs show Aspen-area heroin use on the rise
- Warrant says Bootsy Bellows partner missed court appearance
- Future project may ease westbound I-70 congestion