Probe reveals possible cause of deadly CO in Aspen home | AspenTimes.com

Probe reveals possible cause of deadly CO in Aspen home

Aspen Times Staff Report
Aspen, CO Colorado

ASPEN ” A “combination of errors” in the mechanical, electrical and plumbing systems at a home east of Aspen may be to blame for carbon monoxide that took the lives of four people last week, an inspection of the home revealed Thursday, according to authorities.

Investigators with the Pitkin County Sheriff’s Office spent most of the day executing a search warrant of the home at 10 Popcorn Lane, authorities said in a press release issued late Thursday afternoon. Detectives were joined by a team of expert investigators in carbon monoxide monitoring, ventillation systems, gas and heating. A legal representative of the homeowner was also present, the sheriff’s office said.

An investigator from a private engineering firm, hired by the sheriff’s office, said he identified a potential source of carbon monoxide production and a method of its distribution in the house, according to the press release. He said the infiltration of gas was caused by a “combination of errors” in the mechanical, electrical and plumbing systems, the sheriff’s office said.

Ron Ryan, director of investigations for the sheriff’s department, said no further information would be made available until at least the end of next week.

“This is an extremely tragic incident which we take very seriously,” Ryan said in the press release. “The investigation will be a time-consuming endeavor.”

A Denver family ” Parker and Caroline Lofgren and their children, Owen and Sophie ” were found dead in a bedroom in the home on Friday, Nov. 28. They were staying at the house for the Thanksgiving weekend and died from carbon monoxide poisoning.

Recommended Stories For You

See Friday’s Aspen Times for more on Thursday’s developments.

Go back to article