On The Hill: Windy and cold up top, so it’s a good day to stay low and in the trees
Ryan Summerlin January 16, 2014
Aspen official report: 0″ of new snow overnight. 9″ in the past 48 hours. 19″ in the past week. 63″ base.
Aspen Times field report: Super windy and cold morning on Aspen Mountain. Sustained gusts at around 25 mph made the gondola ride a slow, slightly perilous experience. It’s STILL snowing (yeeha!) and thus visibility is limited to flat light.
Liftline status: No liftlines to speak of.
Breakdown: Our run this morning was cold and breezy, but the snow is excellent and there are very few folks on the mountain. Seems like a good morning to stay low on the hill and in the trees, but there is still ample powder to explore from this recent storm.
Snowcast: There is a winter storm warning in effect through noon today. 30% chance of snow today and tonight, then clearing. The rest of the week looks to be sunny or partly sunny with highs hovering in the mid-30’s. Good times!
Serving Aspen and Snowmass Village, CO
On the Hill Winter 2012-13 documented 150 straight days of ski conditions in Colorado’s High Country.
Trending In: On The Hill
- Aspen city manager bans Mulcahy from housing offices
- 101 mph through Glenwood Canyon? No problem for a Ford GT
- Healthy-focused business to take over former McDonald’s space; Aspen Over Easy hopes to remain open
- The musical chairs of Aspen business: Grateful Deli for sale; other businesses coming in
- Aspen Weather: Expect the pow this winter