On The Hill: It’s dumping in Aspen: Time to break out the fat skis!
February 1, 2014
Aspen official report: 2″ of new snow overnight on Aspen, Buttermilk and Snowmass, 4″ reported at Highlands
Aspen Times field report: The Aspen SkiCo snow report is actually a bit light. We found at lerast 4 inches of powder just about everywhere we “investigated” this morning, with more snow falling steadily. The new snow is somewhat moist and heavy, which is actually good as it serves as a buffer to the hardpack below.
Liftline status: Very light lift lines + fresh powder=VICTORY!
Breakdown: This storm was perfectly timed. After two weeks of sunshine and a rather weather-free X Games week, a huge dump of snow is just what we needed! The Gentlemens Ridge side of Ajax seemed to have a bit deeper powder than the middle and skier right sides.
Snowcast: The National Weather Service has issued a severe winter storm warning for the surrounding areas through Friday. Snowfall in excess of 10″ – up to 17″ is expected in addition to this mornings totals between now and Saturday.
Serving Aspen and Snowmass Village, CO
On the Hill Winter 2012-13 documented 150 straight days of ski conditions in Colorado’s High Country.
Trending In: On The Hill
- #AspenOnTheHill – Saturday on Aspen Mountain
- On The Hill: 12" new snow and bluebird on Aspen Mountain! Get out before it turns to mashed potatoes.
- On The Hill: Take a long strange trip through the Jerry Garcia shrine
- Floating through Northstar Nature Preserve
- On the Hil: Hiking the Little Cloud Trail in Aspen