On The Hill: In a full on blizzard, skiing today is a game time decision
January 13, 2014
Aspen official report:2″ overnight. 14″ over the past week. 61″ base on Aspen Mountain.
Aspen Times field report: Some ski days are a game time decision. With winds gusting above 45 mph, and sustained winds at around 20 mph, we decided to sit this major storm out for the day and let the winds calm down. Also: GO BRONCOS!
Liftline status: No liftlines at Corby’s cabin. The mountains are likely to be pretty desolate today, with the truly hardcore having the pick of the litter for powder runs. That is IF the lifts stay open. With winds pumping as they are, there is a good chance that many of the upper lifts and gondolas will be moving slowly, if at all today.
Breakdown: Sometimes, Mother Nature forces you to punt. Today is one of those days for this snowporter. Monday and Tuesday look to be EPIC! See you up there on the hill!
Snowcast: We are in a winter storm warning through Monday evening. Up to 30″ of new snow is forecast above 9000 feet. THAT IS TWO AND A HALF FEET OF NEW SNOW IN THE NEXT 30 HOURS!
Serving Aspen and Snowmass Village, CO
On the Hill Winter 2012-13 documented 150 straight days of ski conditions in Colorado’s High Country.
Trending In: On The Hill
- #AspenOnTheHill – Tuesday, December 6th on Aspen Mountain
- #AspenOnTheHill – Saturday on Aspen Mountain
- On The Hill: 12" new snow and bluebird on Aspen Mountain! Get out before it turns to mashed potatoes.
- On The Hill: Examining the "snirt" effect
- On The Hill: Raucous debauchery and other scenes from the Highlands Closing Party
- Restaurant industry vets ready to open Free Range Kitchen and Wine Bar in Basalt
- Lawsuit: Hecht lawyers secretly aired deposition
- Construction starts Tuesday on 56-unit, affordable housing project in Basalt
- Mountain Naturals health food store in Aspen Business Center to close after 21 years
- Aspen pot receipt leads to theft arrest