On The Hill: Hiking Smuggler ahead of the storm
Ryan Summerlin January 30, 2014
Aspen official report: No new snow in the past week.
Aspen Times field report: Still recovering from the X Games, Aspen Times snowporter Corby Anderson felt like it was a good day to take the dog for a hike up Smuggler, where conditions were slick and crusty.
Liftline status: No liftlines on Smuggler.
Breakdown: Hondo certainly enjoyed his romp up Smuggler, where he met plenty of friends and painted several snowpiles. It was bright and sunny early this morning on the “other side of Aspen” but that should change rapidly today as a pretty major winter story arrives.
Snowcast: The National Weather Service has issued a Winter Storm Warning for the surrounding areas effective tonight at 6pm, lasting through Friday afternoon. Heavy snow is expected, with at least 10″ and up to 30″ inches predicted (!). If that does come to pass, then be very careful on any avalanche prone slopes, as the base layer is firm below.
Serving Aspen and Snowmass Village, CO
On the Hill Winter 2012-13 documented 150 straight days of ski conditions in Colorado’s High Country.
Trending In: On The Hill
- #AspenOnTheHill – Sterling Cooper Trail
- The bumpy, bouncy, muddy, messy glory of Lincoln Creek Road
- On The Hill: Skiers Repent! The end (of the ski season) is upon us!
- #AspenOnTheHill – Maroon Creek Trail hike
- On The Hill: 12" new snow and bluebird on Aspen Mountain! Get out before it turns to mashed potatoes.