Kippert Ray Wheeler
January 14, 2016
Kippert Ray Wheeler, born October 7, 1941, in Kalamazoo, Michigan, passed away at his home in his sleep in Carbondale, Colorado on December 30, 2015.
Kip was preceded in death by his father, Ivan Munger Wheeler (2004) (a former Probate Judge in Kalamazoo, Michigan) and his mother, Airabel Gladys Ray Wheeler (1997), and his younger brother, Stephen Michael Wheeler (2008). He was first married to Darcie Benschoter, of Adrian, Michigan and later to Mary Ashkiilgaii, of Inglewood, California. He had no children. He is survived by ten first cousins on his mother's side and one first cousin on his father's side.
He graduated from the University of Michigan with a degree in computer science. During his career he worked at upgrading computer systems and programs and later as an entrepreneur. He was involved in the early development and implementation of the smart cards, before retiring to Colorado.
Kip was an avid fan of trains and was a member of the Glenwood Springs Chapter of the National Railway Historical Society.
Friends wishing to make memorial donations in his honor may consider his favorite charity, Friends of Aspen Animal Shelter, Aspen, CO. Kip loved his animals and is survived by his Chihuahua, Pepe, and his parrot, Gaspar.
At his request, no service will be held.
Trending In: Obituaries
- Aspen business owner crashes Maserati into truck in Colorado Springs, tries to flee on foot
- Truck driver dies in fiery Vail Pass crash that closed Interstate 70 for hours Thursday and Friday
- Aspen’s 20-year-old error leads to more development on Buttermilk parcel
- Aspen Skico CEO Mike Kaplan takes aim at Trump and ‘xenophobia radiating from the Oval Office’
- Wendy Mitchell: The backstory of Avalanche Cheese Co.’s pending closure