No shortage of ways to see X Games
January 22, 2013
ASPEN – If you’re a fan of the Winter X Games, set for Thursday through Sunday at Buttermilk Mountain, there will be plenty of ways to tune into the action.
This week’s events are part of ESPN’s global expansion of the X Games, with content available via television, smartphones, tablets and online through digital- and social-network platforms.
“With X Games Aspen officially kicking off the global expansion, ESPN will provide fans around the world with a chance to experience the X Games – with both enhanced broadcast and digital options,” said ESPN X Games executive Scott Guglielmino in a statement issued Monday.
Here’s a breakdown of the media platforms for this week’s X Games:
Television – Live coverage will be on ABC as well as 20 hours of live X Games content in high definition on ESPN. The WatchESPN app will stream all 20 hours of coverage as well as three hours of original content, and ESPN 3D will telecast all 21.5 hours of live X Games coverage. Ramona Bruland will host all 20 hours of the X Games coverage on ESPN and ABC. Joining Bruland will be analysts Kevin Pearce, Chris Burandt, Keir Dillon, Mike Douglas, Chris Ernst and Tes Sewell, along with reporters Alyssa Roenigk, Jamie Little and Jordan Whitley. A full telecast schedule is available at http://www.xgames.com.
Additionally, this week’s games will be televised in 184 countries and territories to more than 430.6 million homes, including live coverage in Africa, Brazil, Canada, Central America, Europe, Middle East and South America. Twenty-one and a half live hours of the event also will be simulcast on ESPN’s international broadband platforms in 16 countries across Australia, Europe and Latin America.
Recommended Stories For You
Digital – The redesigned XGames.com will provide on-site coverage from Aspen including an all new, enhanced second-screen experience called X Cast. Included will be results, near-real-time “leaderboard” video of competition runs, game-cast elements like TrickTrack and Hypemeter.
A new X Games app is also available for iPhones, iPads and Androids. The app will include highlights, schedules and scores.
Other digital offerings include the following:
• XGames.com/realsnow – Eight invited snowboarders will submit one-minute videos with a maximum of eight tricks to be judged by a committee of snowboarding-industry professionals. A prize of $50,000 will be awarded to the winner as well as gold, silver and bronze medals for the top three finishers. Fans also can view and vote on their favorite video in a tournament-style bracket with the fan favorite winning $10,000. Visit http://www.xgames.com/realsnow to view videos and vote for your favorite athlete.
• Inside X – Inside X will offer viewers a look at everything happening on- and off-site during this week’s games. Through on-demand clips, Inside X will feature a variety of event highlights and expert analysis, behind-the-scenes access, athlete and fan interviews and an inside look at X Games music, film and style. Inside X will be available in the scene section of http://www.xgames.com/Scene throughout the duration of the event.
• Live music webcasts – Calvin Harris and Major Lazer will perform from 4:30 to 5:30 p.m. Saturday and from 4:15 to 5:15 p.m. Sunday. The live music webcasts will be distributed on XGames.com, the X Game Facebook page and the X Games Livestream Channel.
• Facebook – X Games on Facebook will feature exclusive video, photo galleries, X Games Aspen Moment of the Day and behind-the-scenes content posted daily, along with telecast and event information. The fan page is located at http://www.facebook.com/XGames.
• Twitter – The X Games’ Twitter feed will feature instant event updates, results, tweet to vote for the Big Air competitions and other features. Anyone can join the conversation using #XGAMES or @XGames in their tweet and following the official X Games Twitter page at http://www.twitter.com/XGames.
• Google+ – X Games on Google+ includes exclusive athlete hangouts, video, photo galleries and inside looks at X Games Aspen along with telecast and event information. For all info, visit http://www.google.com/+xgames.
• iTunes will promote a splash page available at http://www.itunes.com/xgames. The splash page will feature video content, podcasts, apps, films and music. Sony, Microsoft and Amazon also will have all daily highlights and discipline highlights from X Games Aspen available for purchase.