Aspen Journalism, a local nonprofit organization, obtained the video of the fatal plane crash on Jan. 5, by way of a Colorado Open Records Act request to the Aspen-Pitkin County Airport. The video has appeared on websites throughout the world. "Together, the video feeds from the five infrared cameras show the jet's engines firing just before touching down, as if the pilot was trying to abort the landing at the last second," wrote Aspen Journalism. "The plane then bounces hard off the runway, leaps into the air and comes in hard nose-first before bursting into flames. The video also shows a rescue vehicle quickly responding to the crash." All three passengers aboard the Challenger CL-600 were pilots. One of the co-pilots was killed, while the other two were hospitalized with injuries.
- Major New York brokerage buys Aspen real estate firm
- Aspen’s Explore Booksellers under contract to sell for $4.6 million
- Art and fashion celebrate 10 years of Windwalkers at Aspen benefit
- Aspen lane closure creates massive gridlock on Main Street
- On The Hill: Test driving hotrod Kästle's before the holiday onslaught