Staff report

Back to: News
March 24, 2014
Follow News

Basalt home damaged by fire Sunday

A Sunday afternoon fire caused “moderate structural damage” to a residence on Emma Road in Basalt, according to the Basalt & Rural Fire Protection District.

The fire, said to have been caused by an occupant running a skill saw underneath the structure, also caused minimal smoke damage, the district said.

“A spark caught sawdust on fire and the homeowner was unable to extinguish the fire with a garden hose,” a statement said.

Firefighters were dispatched to the scene at 2:58 p.m. They arrived within six minutes, the district said.

Six vehicles and 14 firefighters were used to battle the blaze, according to the district. No injuries were reported.

Carbondale & Rural Fire Protection District and Aspen Fire Protection District assisted, the Basalt district said.

Stories you may be interested in

The Aspen Times Updated Mar 24, 2014 07:44AM Published Mar 24, 2014 10:50AM Copyright 2014 The Aspen Times. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.