Academy Screenings adds ‘20th Century Women’
December 15, 2016
Aspen Film has added "20th Century Women" to its slate of awards contendors at Academy Screenings, the nonprofit announced Thursday.
The acclaimed drama, directed by Mike Mills and starring Annette Bening, will screen on Wednesday, Dec. 28 at 5:30 p.m. at Paepcke Auditorium. The annual film series runs Dec. 21 to Jan. 1 and recognizes the forthcoming award-season contenders.
"20th Century Women" is a richly multilayered, funny, heart-stirring celebration of the complexities of women, family, time, and the connections we search for our whole lives. Set in Santa Barbara, the film follows Dorothea Fields (Bening), a determined single mother in her mid-50s who is raising her adolescent son, Jamie (Lucas Jade Zumann) at a moment brimming with cultural change and rebellion. Dorothea enlists the help of two younger women in Jamie's upbringing — via Abbie (Greta Gerwig), a free-spirited punk artist living as a boarder in the Fields' home, and Julie (Elle Fanning), a savvy and provocative teenage neighbor.
The 25th Aspen Film Academy Screenings full program is online now at aspenfilm.org. Tickets are on sale through the Wheeler Opera House box office, at aspenshowtix.com and 970-920-5770.
The opening night screening of "La La Land" has sold out.
Stories You May Be Interested In
Trending In: Entertainment
- A 5Point Film Festival encore at the Wheeler Opera House
- Aspen Art Museum honored with 2017 National Medal for Museum and Library Service
- Longtime Wheeler Opera House sound man Gordon Wilder retires after 25 years
- What’s next for Hunter S. Thompson’s Owl Farm?
- ‘Every separation is a link’ at Aspen Art Museum group show
- Nikos Hecht of Aspen cleared in federal civil suit alleging rape in Mexico
- Hundreds brave chilly morning at Ride for the Pass
- Aspen senior breaks own state record, three-peats as 400-meter champion
- Aspen’s Abarca wins first leg of triple crown, takes 3A 200-meter title
- Since Trump denies climate change, local government officials meet in Aspen to vow action