Jill Beathard

Follow Me

Back to: News
March 22, 2013
Follow News

Snowmass Village building emptied over gas scare

SNOWMASS VILLAGE - The Timbermill Building on the Snowmass Village Mall was evacuated for about two hours on Thursday because of high levels of carbon monoxide throughout the building, officials said.

A construction worker was operating a propane-fueled forklift in the lower part of the building, and people inside began feeling symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning. The Snowmass-Wildcat Fire Protection District responded to the scene at 11:01 a.m. and discovered high levels of the gas throughout the building, particularly in Venga Venga, the Aspen Skiing Co. locker room and various hallways, Deputy Chief John Mele said.

No one was hospitalized. District personnel met with about 30 evacuees, who were monitored for about an hour to 90 minutes. Those who were in the immediate vicinity of the machinery were treated with oxygen, Mele said.

Aspen Sports and the Skico ticket pavilion inside the building also were evacuated. The Snowmass Clinic was not evacuated because personnel did not find high levels of the gas there, but a staff member stayed in that portion of the building to monitor it, Mele said.

Stories you may be interested in

The Aspen Times Updated Mar 22, 2013 04:27PM Published Mar 22, 2013 04:25PM Copyright 2013 The Aspen Times. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.