Staff report
The Aspen Times
Aspen CO Colorado

Back to: News
January 24, 2013
Follow News

Basalt fire and medical calls

BASALT - A fire broke out at a Laundromat in El Jebel on Tuesday night when rags purportedly soaked in chemicals were left for hours in a dryer and spontaneously combusted.

The Basalt Fire Department arrived at the Laundromat around 8:40 p.m. and found smoke pouring from a dryer, according to a witness. Firefighters threw rags from three dryers on the ground outside and doused them.

The fire didn't spread to the structure, but the interior sustained extensive smoke damage.

Owner Bonnie Williams was helping clean the facility Wednesday and said one dryer among two stacked units was damaged extensively. She received an estimate for $10,000 to replace the units.

The following are other fire and medical calls the Basalt Fire Department responded to from Jan. 8 through Sunday:

Jan. 8 at 12:47 p.m.: Dispatched to Snowmass Creek Road but canceled en route.

Jan. 9 at 12:34 p.m.: A medical call to J.W. Drive resulted in a patient refusal.

Jan. 9 at 2:57 p.m.: A Dumpster fire at 17352 Highway 82 was extinguished.

Jan. 9 at 7:48 p.m.: Responded to Hooks Lane for a vehicle-versus-utility-pole accident. No occupants were on the scene.

Jan. 10 at 2:39 a.m.: Dispatched to 30000 Highway 82 but canceled en route.

Jan. 10 at 2:47 a.m.: Responded to Two Rivers Road for a non-injury vehicle accident.

Jan. 10 at 8:59 a.m.: Investigated a carbon monoxide alarm on Raccoon Court. SourceGas was notified.

Jan. 10 at 4:16 p.m.: Investigated a carbon monoxide alarm on Hillcrest Drive. No hazards were found.

Jan. 11 at 9:26 a.m.: Responded to 26808 Highway 82 for a non-injury accident.

Jan. 11 at 7:53 p.m.: Dispatched to Eagle County Drive for what was a false alarm.

Jan. 11 at 10:20 p.m.: A medical call on East Valley Road resulted in the transport of a person who had passed out.

Jan. 12 at 5:06 p.m.: Dispatched to West Sopris Creek Road for what was a false alarm.

Jan. 12 at 5:14 p.m.: A reported vehicle fire near 20000 Highway 82 could not be located.

Jan. 14 at 9:13 a.m.: Medical call to Southside Drive for a person who had fallen. The patient was transported to the hospital.

Jan. 14 at 10:02 a.m.: A one-vehicle injury accident at 26808 Highway 82 resulted in the transport of one patient to the hospital.

Jan. 15 at 12:19 p.m.: A carbon monoxide alarm on Quail Run was investigated, and no hazards were found.

Jan. 15 at 1:04 p.m.: A medical call to Ute Street in Sopris Village for a person who had fallen. The patient was transported to the hospital.

Jan. 15 at 2:14 p.m.: Called to 26500 Highway 82 but canceled en route.

Jan. 16 at 2:45 p.m.: Called to Evans Court for a citizen assist.

Jan. 16 at 2:55 p.m.: Called to 20000 Highway 82 for a non-injury accident.

Jan. 16 at 5:28 p.m.: Responded to a residence on Gateway Road for a carbon monoxide alarm. No hazards were found.

Jan. 16 at 5:40 p.m.: Responded to 19000 Highway 82 for a two-vehicle, non-injury accident.

Jan. 16 at 10:54 p.m.: An arcing electrical transformer at 20640 Highway 82 was turned over to Holy Cross Electric after fire crews secured the scene.

Jan. 17 at 2:02 p.m.: A medical call to Midland Avenue resulted in the transport of a hypothermic person to the hospital.

Jan. 17 at 2:13 p.m.: Responded to Park Avenue for a person who had fainted. The patient was transported to the hospital.

Jan. 17 at 6:24 p.m.: Responded to the Aspen Mobile Home Park for an odor of natural gas. No hazards were found.

Jan. 17 at 7:51 p.m.: Responded to Upper Cattle Creek Road for an obvious death.

Friday at 6:30 a.m.: Responded to 29000 Highway 82 for a one-vehicle, non-injury accident.

Friday at 10:50 p.m.: Dispatched to 27500 Highway 82 for a vehicle fire. No vehicle was located.

Saturday at 1:14 a.m.: A medical call to El Jebel for a person with facial lacerations from a fight resulted in a transport to the hospital.

Saturday at 7:02 p.m.: Responded to a carbon monoxide alarm on Snowmass Creek Road. No hazards were found.

Sunday at 5:08 a.m.: Responded to Ute Avenue for a carbon monoxide alarm that activated due to acetylene gas leaking. The hazard was mitigated.


Explore Related Articles

Trending in: News

The Aspen Times Updated Jan 24, 2013 02:01AM Published Jan 24, 2013 02:00AM Copyright 2013 The Aspen Times. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.